Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

June 6, 2015

What Would You Do With a Haunted House?

What Would You Do With a Haunted House?
What would you do with a haunted house? There's one for sale in New York if you are brave enough.  This Queen Anne-style mansion in Camden New York has an asking price of just $105,000.

I actually lived in a house that appeared to be haunted. There were many unexplained events during the few years we lived there. Was it a ghost? I don't know. Do I believe in ghosts? I believe in what I heard and saw but whether that was a ghostly apparition I cannot say. 

Here's a few of the things we experienced in that house:

My 3 year old son complained that a man often came into his bedroom and talked to him about his own son. We smelled cigarette smoke frequently in one upstairs room but no one in our house smoked.  We heard footsteps on the stairs at odd hours. Furniture was rearranged when we were out of the house. Windows suddenly flew open (not shut but open). 

A phone call to the woman who owned the house before us revealed that she too had experienced the same odd (and sometimes frightening) things in the house. 

During a seance at our home, we learned that our "ghost" had the initials S.C. and that he had lived there in the early 1900s. Further real life investigation revealed a previous owner of the home was one Samuel Corley and that he owned the house circa 1910. Was this our ghost?

Eventually we sold this house and the new owner also had these experiences.  She  converted the house to a Bread and Breakfast and one bedroom (originally my young son's) was featured as the room that was haunted. Guests paid extra to sleep in that room - talk about turning a disadvantage into a great business opportunity!

Ghosts? Or a phenomenon that can be explained scientifically? I don't have the answer.

Credit: Google Street View Image of the Haunted House

1 comment:

T said...

I'd be willing to share that house with ghosts if I could afford to live in it!